Sunday, April 11, 2010

Yeasayer - Odd Blood


(6.5)

I really wanted to like this album. Ever since I heard the first one 2 years ago their follow up was my most anticipated album. But this just doesn't cut it for me.

Yeasayer's new direction is.. interesting. It's not bad, it's actually really creative. In a time when all the indie bands are copying Animal Collective, Yeasayer looks to move in a new uncharted territory with their sound. This new stuff is really um, futuristic sounding. Tracks like O.N.E and Ambling Alp sound like a mix of as many genres of music they could fit into one track, like as if in the distant future all genres have mixed into one.

It's not that these new tracks are bad (although some sure are "The Children") it's just that I Really liked their original sound. All Hour Cymbals is one of my favorite albums. The whole middle eastern psych thing they had going was awesome. This is just too new of a direction for me.

I will admit that it is good that bands continuously progress their sounds, and this progressing was a bold move. At least Chris Keating can still sing like a boss.

Sounds Like
A mix of every genre into one

No comments:

Post a Comment