Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Vampire Weekend - Contra


(4.5)

This isn't great. I wasn't much of a fan of their first album. They sound like a . And I can't stand Ezra Koenig's voice, so that doesn't help. I like the whole tropical/exotic sounding music, hell, I really like it. But it's just been done so much and in such better ways. Think Talking Heads Naked album. As far as I know, thats the roots of artsy tropical sounding music. Vampire Weekend it's really bringing anything new to the genre on this one.

I can admit there was catchy tracks on their first. With the exception of the head ache Cousins, there's nothing here that stuck with me, and I wish it hadn't. That track is annoying as fuck. God I hate his voice. On the other hand, his voice is tolerable on Giving up the Gun and on my favorite track Diplomat's Son which has that vibe I got from those minimalist Beirut songs on Gulag Orkestar.

Boring music for pre teen hipsters. Try moving in some sort of new direction.

Sounds Like
Same old same old

No comments:

Post a Comment