Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Mars Volta - Amputechture


(10)

This is a bias review.

Its a fact that there is no middle ground is one's opinion of The Mars Volta. Some hate them, claiming they're messy, noisy, unorganized and full of themselves. Others absolutely love them, and live by their albums. Not everyone "gets" them. They're messy, frantic and use weird time signatures. I love them and they happen to be my favorite band ever since the first time I heard L'via L'viaquez.

They're third LP and most underrated is Amputechture. I was so excited when I picked this up. I couldn't wait to sit down for the next 76 minutes and listen to the whole thing through. Vicarious Atonement starts with those chimes and then the Omar comes in with that lone guitar line, it sounds like music from a western in space. I thought to my self "I'm ganna love this album." Then the second track started and I turned it off. It was messy and frantic, I didn't "get" it.

Months later I'm on a long drive back from WI and I decided to try again. I listen to the entire thing though and loved it. The organ, the frantic guitar lines, Cedric's voice, everything. It demands your full attention for the full 76 minutes. Like a good drug, it's a trip. And once you've dropped, there's no turning back until it's over.

I can't describe The Mars Volta's sound, but they shine on Amputechture. Give it a chance.

Sounds Like
Progressive Latin acid jazz


No comments:

Post a Comment