Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Various Artists - Eccentric Soul: The Prix Label


(8.5)

There are many many Eccentric Soul records. Out of the few I have managed to find, this is my favorite.

When looking for old classic soul without turing on some oldies radio station, one might turn to Sharon Jones. There's no problem with that, all of her records are excellent. But you can do better. Eccentric Soul presents you with a collection of lost and unknown classic soul and funk tracks from artists that even someone who was around to listen to this type of music while it was being released wouldn't even know.

This is straight funky music. I mean really funky. It's like James Brown x10. It's lo-fi as shit, and well before lo-fi was just some hipster gimmick production technique. The singing its tops as excpected from soul singers, they're the best, and the backing bands of each artists are comparable, if not better, than the legendary Dap Kings. My favorite of the bunch if I had to pick would be one of the two Marion Black tracks Come on and Gettit. If my record collection was filled with nothing but 45s from these artists, I'd be pretty happy.

Early 60's > Late 60's. This is why.

Sounds Like
Old School Soul and Funk

No comments:

Post a Comment