Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Radio Dept. - Clinging to a Scheme


(9)

I've been waiting for this album since I first heard their first album. When I got the leak I wondered what their new sound (if any) would be like. After listening to it extensively for the past two months I've decided that it sounds a lot like Lesser Matters only a lot more polished and with better ideas overall.

The Radio Dept. are my favorite of the "nu gaze" bands. They have the best sound hands down. They can play their instruments to say he least. And they know how to incorporate the fuzzy loud shoegaze sound while still making each instrument stand out. It really shows on The Video Dept. The sound is real moody like later The Cure work. Its kind of dark but not at the same time.. in a dreamy way? the album is more centered on a pop foundation than the rock foundation of their earlier work. Memory Loss's bassline reminds me of Joy Division but the guitar work is something new. David is something you wouldn't expect to hear from them. It's kind of a synth pop that sounds like a hybrid of new and old, comfortable and uneasy. Its those extreme dynamics thats what The Radio Dept. do best on this album. The over all sound is beautiful and extremely pleasant.

This is the under-the-radar highlight of 2010 so far, check it out.

Sounds Like
Nu gaze fuzz

No comments:

Post a Comment