Thursday, May 27, 2010

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92



Richard D. James' first full length as Aphex Twin. Select Ambient Works 85-92 is just what the title suggests. It's laid back, atmospheric and beautiful electronic music. Although I wouldn't be so quick to call it ambient, well, maybe it is to Aphex Twin it is. I mean, there's still a beat on most of the tracks, nothing here is boring, but it still takes you for a visual ride like ambient music should.

The album starts out perfectly with one of my personal AT tracks Xtal, and quickly takes off from there. It covers a lot of ground too. There's the light fluffy pieces which he contrasts with darker ones. There's some heavy and loud borderline big-beat tracks like Green Calx as well. Not every song is amazing, but it's worth the trip.

2 comments:

  1. SO GOOD. a favorite. I bought this on vinyl for $80. worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you opened it and gave it a few spins, unlike loveless lol

    ReplyDelete