Saturday, August 28, 2010

Xiu Xiu - Fabulous Muscles


I've been moping around with a hole in me. Something important has been missing for quite a long time. I haven't heard an album so complex, colorful, texturized, deep and unique that I actually enjoyed for months now. Something that I can listen to over and over and get something new out of it every time I experience it. Something that is before it's time. Last masterpiece of an album according to my criteria that I've found was Burial's Untrue, Gang Gang Dance's Saint Dymphna or Flying Lotus' Cosmogramma. It's been at least a year. So I've been looking for something to fill that void for about a month now.

Xiu Xiu's Fabulous Muscles is an old album, 6 years now, and it's better than it should be. Thats the problem with a lot of great albums. They're before their time. Kid A, Bitches Brew, Remain In Light... you know what I'm talking about.

The album is dark to say the least, but it's not depressing. There's so much emotion, and variety in the emotion. It's something I've never heard in music before. It drags you down to a dark places, makes you feel like you're all the way at the bottom, where there's no light. Then it takes you back up in a split second in a gust of alive emotion, only to drop you back on your face again. It's what I'd imagine The Cure's Disintegration to had sounded like by the kids in '89. It's raw, it's noisy and beautiful yet it's exceptionably coherent for such an experimental sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment